DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-3291.ijcp20172022

Study of correlation between dietary habits and anemia among adolescent girls in Ranchi and its surronding area

Deepak Chaturvedi, Partha Kumar Chaudhuri, . Priyanka, Anil Kumar Chaudhary

Abstract


Background: It is astonishing to know that 30% of world population suffers from IDA out of which 80 to 90% is in developing countries. In India, 80% of children at 1 to 2 years of age, adolescents, pregnant women and lactating mothers suffer from Iron deficiency. Nutritional anemia is a worldwide problem with prevalence in developing countries (36%) compared to industrialized (8%). Most of the problems are related to dietary habits from initial age of a child. Girls are more at risk because of menstrual Issues and early age marriage.

Methods: The present study was conducted on 300 adolescent girls (10-19 years) by asking their last 24 hours’ dietary habits.

Results: Among 300 girls 39% were vegetarians and remaining 61% were non-vegetarians. Maximum girls (78%) were in the frequent habit of consumption of junk foods. Mild anemia (34%) was found to be more common than other forms of anemia. Severity of anaemia was found to be gradually increased from early to late adolescent group.

Conclusions: Anaemia noted in 82% despite majority (91.7%) of girls having normal BMI. Anemia was more common in vegetarians than non-vegetarians and among vegetarians more common with predominantly rice based diet (‘r’=0.871). There was increased association on consumption of tea and coffee post meals (r=0.892). 


Keywords


Adolescent girls, Anemia, Dietary habits

Full Text:

PDF

References


Lokeshwar MR, Textbook of pediatric hematology and hemato-oncology, 1st ed. New Delhi,Jaypee brothers medical publishers;2016:100-25.

Klieman RM, Nelson textbook of pediatrics, 20th ed. Philadelphia, Elsevier;2016:2323-6.

Paul VK, Bagga A, Ghai. Essential Pediatrics, 8th ed. New Delhi, CBS publishers;2014:330-58.

Blaci Y. Prevalence and risk factors of anemia among adolescents in denizli, turkey, Iran J Pediatr. 2012;22(1):77-81.

Rati S, Jawadagi S. Prevalence of anemia among adolescent girls studying in selected schools, IJSR 2014; 3(8):1237-42.

Montazerifar F, Karajibani M, Dashipour AR. Evaluation of dietary intake and food patterns of adolescent girls in sistan and baluchistan province, iran, Functional Foods in Health and Disease. 2012; 2(3):62-71.

Kaur IP, Kaur S. A comparison of nutritional profile and prevalence of anemia among rural girls and boys, Journal of Exercise Science and Physiotherapy. 2011;7(1):11-8.

Dixit S. A community based study on prevalence of anaemia among adolescent girls and its association with iron intake and their correlates, Indian J. Prev. Soc. Med. 2011;42(4):393-8.

Panat AV. Iron deficiency among rural college girls: a result of poor nutrition and prolonged menstruation, JCNH. 2013;2(2):56-60.

Haider R, Bhatia S. Adolescent Nutrition: A Review of the Situation in Selected South-East Asian Countries, New Delhi, WHO;2006:21-42.

Parthasarathy A, IAP Text book of pediatrics, 6th ed. New Delhi, Jaypee brothers medical publishers; 2016:755-60.

Park K, Textbook of Preventive and social medicine, 24th ed. Jabalpur, M/s Bansidas bhanot publisher;2016:646-704.