A prospective comparative study of metabolic and haematological profile of infants born to mothers with pregestational and gestational diabetes mellitus


  • Sravani Vemuri Department of Paediatrics, Government Medical College and General Hospital, Siddipet, Telangana, India
  • Raju Vannala Department of Paediatrics, Maheshwara College and Hospital, Patanchervu, Telangana, India




Hypoglcemia, Pregestational diabetes mellitus, Hypocalcemia


Background: Diabetes mellitus during pregnancy has long been associated with maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality. Gestational and pregestational diabetes make up the most common maternal metabolic disorder of pregnancy. Suboptimal control of blood glucose has the potential for serious neonatal adverse effects. Neonates of pregestational diabetic mothers are at risk for congenital malformations, perinatal mortality, preeclampsia, preterm birth, increased birthweight, neonatal hypoglycaemia.

Methods: 100 neonates born to diabetic mothers were enrolled in the study during 1January 2019 to 30June 2020 at Mediciti institute of medical sciences, Telangana. Gestational age, birth weight, relevant antenatal history of mothers with diabetes mellitus and examination findings were collected and recorded. Blood samples were collected to perform relevant biochemical tests and managed as per unit protocol.

Results: Of the 100 neonates, 93% were born to mothers with GDM, while the remaining 7% were born to mothers with PGDM. 39% (39/100) of mothers had poor glycemic control. Mean birth of neonates born to PGDM mothers was lower when compared to GDM and was statistically significant (p=0.02). Hyperbilirubinemia was the most common abnormality seen in 53% of neonates. Incidence of hypoglycemia, hypocalcemia, hypomagnesemia, polycythemia, hyperbilirubinemia, were higher in infants born to mothers with PGDM and was statistically significant.

Conclusions: Among the pregnancies complicated by diabetes, PGDM continues to have a major contribution. Metabolic and haematological complications are more in neonates born to mothers with PGDM. Hypocalcemia and hyperbilirubinemia was the most common complications in IDM.

Author Biography

Sravani Vemuri, Department of Paediatrics, Government Medical College and General Hospital, Siddipet, Telangana, India


senior resident


Cunningham L, Bloom H, Rouse S. Diabetes. In: Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. United States of America: Mc Graw Hill; 2010:1104-26.

Gilmartin AB, Ural SH, Repke JT. Gestational diabetes mellitus. Rev Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;1(3):129-34.

American diabetes association. Management of diabetes in pregnancy. Diab Care. 2017;40(1):S114-9.

Ioannis T, Apostolos M, Apostolos A, Anargyros K, Themistoklis D. Management of pregestational diabetes mellitus: a comparison of guidelines. J Maternal Fetal Neonatal Med. 2020;17:194-9.

Nold JL, Georgieff MK. Infants of diabetic mothers. Pediatr Clin N Am. 2004;51:619-37.

Chaudhary G, Raghunandan C, Chopra K. Screening and diagnosis gestational diabetes mellitus by IADPSG criteria. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2019;8:543-7.

Cloherty PJ. Manual of neonatal care. In: Cloherty PJ, eds. 8th ed. North America: LWW; 2017:313-4.

Repke JT. Management of hyperbilirubinemia in the newborn infant 35 or more weeks of gestation, subcommittee on hyperbilirubinemia. Am Acad Pediatr. 2004;114(1):297-316.

Echenwald ER. Cloherty and Starks manual of neonatal care. 8th ed. Netherlands: Elsevier; 2017911.

Anjum SK, Yashodha HT. A study of neonatal outcome in infants born to diabetic mothers at a tertiary care hospital. Int J Contemp Pediatr. 2018;5:489-92.

Elango S, Sankarasubramanian ML, Marimuthu B. An observational study of clinical profile of infants born to pregestational and gestational diabetic mothers. Int J Contemp Pediatr. 2018;5:557-62.

Senthilkumar KM, Shanthi R. Clinical profile and outcome of infant of diabetic mother in a tertiary care sick newborn care units. Int J Contemp Pediatr. 2020;7:1069-72.

Desmond M, Christina SH, Erika F. Werner N. Diabetes mellitus in pregnancy. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2017;18(1):e33-43.

Joewono HT, Sulistyono A, Aditiawarman E. Maternal and infant outcomes of gestational diabetes mellitus and pregestational diabetes mellitus booked cases in maternity. Eurasia J Biosci. 2020;14:1583-8.

Mahmood C, Kayes M. Problems and immediate outcome of infants of diabetic mothers. J Bangla Coll Physic Surg. 2020;26(2):67-72.

Gopal. A study of clinical, metabolic and hematological profile in infants of diabetic mothers. Indian J Pharm Biol Res. 2014;2(2):34-40.






Original Research Articles