DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-3291.ijcp20173802

Seroprevalance of hepatitis-c infection in multi-transfused thalassemic children: study from a West Indian tertiary care center

Sheesham Agrawal, Pawan Kumar Sulaniya, Kapil Garg, Ramesh Choudhary, Chandrakanta Sulaniya

Abstract


Background: To study the prevalence of hepatitis-C virus infection in multi-transfused thalassemic children and to correlate these patients with age, number of transfusion, serum ferritin levels and transaminases levels.

Methods: This study was conducted in the Department of Pediatrics of a Teaching Institute of Rajasthan. It was a hospital based cross sectional study, conducted over a period of 12 months (April 2016- March 2017). Blood sample for Ant-HCV antibody detection was taken at time of follow-up visit in the subspeciality clinic. These samples were processed in central laboratory for hep-C antibody, serum ferritin and transaminases levels. Anti-HCV antibody detection was done by BI-DOT machine. HCV RNA PCR was done to access viral load in all positive cases.

Results: A total of 300 patients were enrolled in the study. There were 219 (73%) males and 81 (27%) females. The mean age of the study group was 7.59±3.6 years (range 1.5-18years). At the time of our study 277 (92.4%) cases were on one or the other chelating agent whereas 23 (7.6%) cases were not taking any kind of chelation therapy. Out of 300 patients, 72(24%) cases tested positive for anti HCV antibody. Out of 72 patients only 36(12%) patients had detectable viral load in RNA PCR.  Mean age of the HCV positive cases (9.58±3.28) years was higher as compared to HCV negative cases (6.98±3.54). Maximum HCV positivity 20/38 (52.6%) was seen in 12-18 year age group; followed by 33/76 (43.4%) in 9-12yr age group. Significant association was observed between advancing age and prevalence of hepatitis C in thalassemia major patients (p=0.002). The number of blood transfusions received by anti-HCV positive children (Avg. Transfusion 185±98.40 ml/kg/year) was significantly higher than that by anti-HCV negative patients (Avg. Transfusion 102.8±71.20) (p value<0.001). Maximum HCV positive cases 33 (45.83%) had total transfusions >200 in a year followed by 15 (20.83%) cases with 151-200 transfusions (p<0.001).

Conclusions: Despite ELISA screening of blood donors, our study demonstrated high (24%) prevalence of transfusion transmitted hepatitis-C virus in thalassemic children which increases with increasing number of transfusions, it also correlates with rising serum ferritin level and SGPT level. 


Keywords


Hepatitis-C, HCV, Thalassemia, Transfusion transmitted infections

Full Text:

PDF

References


Weather all DJ, Clegg JB. The Thalassemia Syndromes, 4th edn. USA: Blackwell Science; 2001:80–110.

Rund D, Rachmilewitz E. Pathophysiology of alpha-and beta-thalassemia: therapeutic implications. Semin Hematol. 2001;38(4):343-9.

Goodnough LT. Risk of blood transfusion. Anesthesiol Clin North Am. 2005;23:241-52.

Ladis V, Chouliaras G, Berdousi H, Kanavakis E, Kattamis C. Longitudinal study of survival and causes of death in patients with thalassemia major in Greece. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1054:445-50

Kapoor D, Saxena R, Sood B, Sarin KK. Blood transfusion practices in India: results of a national survey. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2000;19(2):64-7.

Al-Sheyyab M, Batieha A, El-Khateeb M. The prevalence of hepatitis B, hepatitis C and human immune deficiency virus markers in multi-transfused patients. J Trop Pediatr. 2001;47(4):239-42.

Williams TN, Wonke B, Donohue SM. A Study of Hepatitis B and C prevalence and liver function in multitransfused thalassemics and their parents. Indian Pediatr. 1992;29(9):1119-24.

Chakravarti A, Verma V, Kumaria R, Dubey AP. Anti-HCV Seropositivity among multiple transfused patients with Beta Thalassemia. J Indian Med Assoc. 2005;103(2):64-6.

Marwaha RK, Bansal D, Sharma S, Kumar S, Trehan A, Duseja A et al. Seroprevalence of hepatitis C and B virus in multiply transfused beta-thalassemics: results from a thalassemic day care unit in North India. Vox Sanguinis. 2003;85(2):119-20.

Bhavsar H, Patel K, Vegad M, Madan M, Pandey A, Asthana A et al. Prevalence of HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C infection in Thalassemia major patients in tertiary care hospital, Gujarat. NJIRM 2011;2(3):47-50.

Grewal A, Sobti PC. Prevalence of hepatitis B and C in thalassemic children in Punjab. Riv Ital Med Adolesc. 2007;5(3):45-49.

Katsanos KH, Chaidos A, Christodoulou DK, Tzambouras N, Zervou E, Bourandas KL et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of HCV infection in transfusion-dependent thalassemia. Annal Gastroenterol. 2005;18(1):56-64.